+971 9 2371330

Qasr al-Hosn

Qasr Al Hosn's

 

 

oldest historic building and guard history of the city of Abu Dhabi and reflects achievements in Abu Dhabi on a continuous basis since the eighteenth century until today.

 During the seventeenth century, most of the lands that make up the Emirate of Abu Dhabi is currently subject to the Union where tribes of Bani Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, some of whom used to catch the fish and perhaps for pearl diving.

The legend says that one of the persons from the area of ​​Liwa was chasing fawn on the island and that his grandfather drank from the well of fresh. Control tower were built in order to protect the vital water source and formed human settlement around it in about 1760 and named after them on the island of Abu Dhabi, which means the land of the father or antelope.

In about 1793, is Shakhboot Sheikh Diab Bin Al Nahyan to build a fortress and residence of him and his family. After that has been integrated control tower at Fort largest area includes two towers circular sides and square towers in addition to the internal buildings with an inner courtyard. It has the form of the main defensive position in the region was also used to protect the marine beaches. 


Seat of government 

It became the seat of the formal establishment of the center and to the rule of Sheikh Shakhboot, who ruled from 1793 to 1816 and provided an atmosphere of stability for the various groups on the island of Abu Dhabi.

Has reinforced the fort political standing of the ruling family and defended people during conflicts also provided them with a place to gather, where they come to meet their rulers and talk to them. After the rule of Sheikh Shakhboot, the region known period of decline caused by the international problems, as the Arabian Gulf has become an important trade route and become more vulnerable than ever to piracy, and naval warfare among the tribes.

In 1820 a comprehensive agreement was signed with the British to restore peace and marine disposal of tribal conflicts return for an agreement not to interfere in the internal affairs of the island. Have been revised terms of this truce over the thirty years that followed, which led to a relative consensus among tribal leaders, who were looking to establish the Trucial States. 


Building the fort In this period, the fort is the only one built of stone, while the indigenous population were living in huts Albrstei, but the region has become a particularly important political and economic biggest thanks to the boom in the pearl trade. The building was expanded and became more prestige, where there is a defender to protect it. In the year 1892, has been modified truce eternal and became the Trucial States are subject to the protection of the British government, which became the other is responsible for foreign affairs, but with respect for the rule of the elders of the Trucial States. 

The early twentieth century difficult for Abu Dhabi, where she had to then face the challenges of internal and regional. The problems began in the region with the outbreak of the First World War and the sharp contraction in the pearl trade resulting from the development of Japan's pearl farm.

Hence, became the population suffers from a lack of job opportunities. Except that, in the period between the wars, was the discovery of oil wells in the Gulf and in 1939, signed Shakhboot Sheikh bin Sultan Al Nahyan Aljiulyuggi concession for exploration and exploitation of oil in the Trucial States.

It is this concession revenues began Sheikh in the implementation of a large development program, where he built a new fort on the old fort adding extensions mission in the southern and eastern flanks of the fort, which resulted in the allocation of private rooms ruling family.

After chasing Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the former president of the United Arab Emirates reins of power in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi in the year 1966, the family left the palace fort which became the administrative center for a very nineties.

The Sheikh Zayed ordered the restoration of the fort between 1976 and 1983 where it was during this period to change the internal gardens significantly to include sidewalks and fountains and lighting poles. The appearance of the palace fort (fort within the fort) encircles the fort where the largest, which was built in the forties, the old building completely. 



Contact Info

  • Tel: (+971)026664442

Location

Al Hosn - Abu Dhabi

See More
reed-flute-cave.
reed-flute-cave.
Bari Cathedral
Bari Cathedral
Villa of the Birds
Villa of the Birds
Ras Al Khaimah Sailing Academy
Ras Al Khaimah Sailing Academy
Type your comment here
All comments are subject to review and will be published after it is reviewed. Please note that your email will not be visible to readers

Facebook Comments

Where Do You Want To Go ?